More than half-way through 2019 and we have seen quite a few fun trends so far. There have been the animal prints on virtually everything, the hair accessories such as head-scarves, not to mention those futuristic sneakers everybody’s wearing. But what about the beauty trends?
Just like always nowadays, there are many trends going on at the same time, and which ones you choose to follow is completely up to you. Remember your own style and personality and don’t just go with what other people think looks good. But if you, on the other hand, like what you’re seeing, trends are a fun way to add some variation and experimentation to your life!
SMOKY EYES ARE BACK!
Even though nobody can say that smoky eyes have ever been completely out, they have been in need of a renaissance. 2019 is the year that we took the smoky eye back and made it just slightly more interesting. Go for shades of gold and other metals. This look has been featured on the catwalks lately, for example at the Tom Ford show that was inspired by the 1970s.
Some people feel like it’s quite hard to achieve the perfect smoky eye. They’re afraid that they will end up looking like a panda and for that reason, they don’t even dare to try. But when you know how to do it properly, it’s actually quite easy!
How to Do It
- Start with a nude/peach transition shade all over your eyelids. This will act as a base that will make all the other shades blend together better. When creating a smoky eye, you want to always go from light to dark shades.
- Move on to a slightly darker transition shade that has a warmer tone and that you apply at the crease by the top of your eyeball and just above it in a semi-circular motion. Take time to blend it properly. Blending is easier if you hold your brush further out (not like you hold a pencil when writing).
- Time for the last transition shade and this should be in yet a slightly darker shade that goes in between the two shades you’ve already applied. Blend it well at the top of your eyelid. The result so far should be that you’ve got the lightest shade just by your lashes, the darker shade above that and the medium shade on top.
- Use a jumbo eyeliner pencil on the bottom half of your eyelids. If you are going for a black smoky eye, use a black pencil, but it could be another colour depending on what you feel like. Smear it on and take a synthetic brush and start blending it in. You’ll notice that if you keep going, the eyeshadow you’ve already applied will start showing. This isn’t a step that everybody uses, but it does ensure that your makeup will stay on all night, looking flawless no matter how much you dance.
- Time for the darkest shade, most often black. Apply the black eyeshadow by your lashes and blend it upwards to create a gradient. You might be used to applying a dark shade to the crease, but for this technique, and with colours this dark, that isn’t optimal so try doing it the other way around.
- For under the eye, you’re going to apply the transition shades just like you did before. And just like you can see them go almost like a frame outside of all the smokiness, you should let them show under the eye. This means that you need to go perhaps further out than feels natural. The darkest transition shade, though, goes closest to the eye.
- Apply a black eyeliner close to the eye and then blend it with a brush.
If you want to see what it should look like, watch this video tutorial.
GO BANANAS WITH POPS OF COLOUR
Another thing that has been seen throughout the fashion shows are sparks of colour, be it on the lips, eyes or cheeks. Even pink eyelashes have been seen for the most daring ones! If you’re wondering what new makeup to get this spring, go for a bright pink lipstick or a neon eyeliner. Think ‘colour that makes people look one extra time’ and you won’t go wrong.
But you may wonder how to match your makeup with your outfit. The answer is that you should be careful so that everything doesn’t match perfectly. This is easily achieved by using colours that are similar but not exactly the same. If you have pink lips, you can still wear pink, but let it be another shade. And try to add another colour to your clothing.
You could try the 60-30-10 rule. It dictates that 60% of the clothes should be a neutral, like black, grey, navy, or white. 30% should be ROY G BIV (short for all the colours of the rainbow). It could be a nice top or a cardigan. And then 10% should be another ROY G BIV colour that you use on accessories and so on, little pops of colour (This rule works great for home décor as well!).
When you have established your three colours, you can start experimenting with how you can incorporate them in your outfit and makeup.
Long lashes have been trendy for a while and they continue to be. Some people choose to get eyelash extensions, others opt for fake lashes or just a really good mascara. But no matter which one you feel best suits your lashes (and your wallet) you should still be using an eyelash serum that makes your natural lashes really long and luscious.
To get long lashes with mascara, it’s important to start at the root of the lashes and zig-zag your way out. This will give them more volume and length. Let it dry and apply a second coat. You can even do a quick swipe at the back of the lashes when the second coat has dried, but this step might make it necessary to curl the lashes once more when the mascara is completely dry. If you need to curl them again, make sure to do it gently.
Another trend that is big at the moment is to embrace one’s natural beauty and not wear any makeup at all, or perhaps just a little bit when it’s absolutely necessary. If you feel like you want to give it a go, skincare is everything. Make sure to pamper your skin with a daily skincare routine with lovely serums and creams as well as weekly facemasks and peelings. And don’t forget to give your lips some attention with lip balms that adds moisture and shine.
This isn’t a trend that is about making no effort, but rather one that takes dedication. To get your skin to really glow, eat plenty of veggies and drink at least 2 litres of water every day, and you will soon notice results!
If you still want to use some makeup but still look naturally beautiful, mix your foundation with your favourite moisturiser (preferably one with SPF). Mix it in the palm of your hand until you’re happy with it. This hack works great for some products, whereas some just get grainy and weird when you mix them, so if you first don’t succeed, try again with another moisturiser!
Another way that you can use makeup that looks natural is by using cream makeup. You can actually make it yourself! If you think that you have to throw out powders, eyeshadows, and blushes that are broken, think again! Crush them into a fine powder and mix with some coconut oil and voilà- your own cream makeup that might very well be just as good, if not better, than the original!
For this trend, the most important thing is that you take care of your skin. Here are some of the best pieces of advice for getting your best skin ever.
- Skip Ice Cold and Boiling Hot Water – You open the pores with warm water and close them with cold’. Have you ever heard that before? Chances are that you have, because it’s one of the most common skincare myths there is, and it refuses to die!
The fact is that pores don’t close or open, they are simply holes in your skin. This myth is probably still around because muscles work that way, cold tenses them and warmth relaxes them. But pores aren’t muscles!
If you wash your face with really cold water and then really hot water, you will only irritate the skin and make it dry and unhappy. Lukewarm water is best for the skin!
- Don’t Wash Your Face Too Much – Sure, it does feel nice to wash your face for extra long so that it feels as clean as it possibly can, but that’s not good for the skin. It ruins the skin’s natural balance and can make it try to compensate for the oils you’ve stripped it from. The result might actually be that you get more pimples from it!
Think about it. If you do something that makes you need to wash your hands often, let’s say, you’re cleaning or baking. What happens? The hands get dry. The twentieth time you wash your hands in one day, the skin is going to look far from good. Well, it’s the same with your face, even if the skin is slightly different and you don’t use hand soap for it.
- Remove Your Makeup Every. Single. Night. – We know, it’s tempting to just go to bed and wake up looking like a raccoon, but please, do take the time to wash your makeup off. Your skin needs to get rid of it, but also from other dirt you might have picked up during the day, and it needs to be pampered with some nice skincare products instead. It’s a myth that skin breathes (it doesn’t exactly have lungs, you know!) but it’s true in a figurative sense, it needs a break now and then!
- Use Skincare Products Specific for Your Skin Type – We have all picked up skincare products that we have regretted after a while. This is especially the case if they’re not designed for our skin type. If you don’t really know what skin type you have, check out this guide.
- Use Setting Spray Instead of Hairspray – We are many girls who remember how our mothers told us when we first started wearing makeup that ‘hairspray does the trick’. But honestly, hairspray on your face is not good for our skin! It’s time we teach our mums one or two things about skincare!
But there is another way to protect your face from hair products, other than not spraying it directly, and that is to sleep with clean hair. Let’s say that you’ve had a nice updo that needed a lot of products. If you then let your hair down, you will not only get hair in your face when you sleep, but you will get products all over your pillowcase so that the remaining nights until you wash it, you will get an unwanted facial. It’s better to wash your hair before you go to bed.
- Watch Your Diet – You are what you eat. If you eat lots of junk food and only ever drink coke, that’s going to show on your skin (and your weight, but that’s another issue). Try to eat as healthy as possible with lots of fruit and veg. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Check out our ultimate guide to eyelashes to find out more about the impact of diet on lashes and looks!
If you think it’s hard to remember to drink enough water, why not keep a water bottle by your side at work? You might find yourself sipping water without even thinking about it. If you drink two litres of water every day, you will not only get clearer skin but will also feel more energised. Water is also essential to keep our digestion going, so if you sometimes experience bloating, it will take care of that problem as well.
- Don’t Borrow Makeup and Skincare Products – There is a reason why you should never borrow other people’s foundation or face creams, and that is that you don’t want their germs on your face. As soon as we stick our finger into a pot of something, we give bacteria the chance to move in. After a while, we should even throw our own old products out because they might contain our own bacteria. So it makes sense that we don’t want to adopt anyone else’s. Stick to using your own products, and your skin will thank you.
- Use Sun Lotion – The sun is a frenemy that we should be very careful with. Even if it’s true that we do need that nice vitamin D, it’s also true that sun causes skin cancer as well as wrinkles. Always use sufficient UV protection when you’re out and try to stay in the shade between about 12-3, when it’s the hottest. A siesta isn’t a bad idea!
Also, make sure that you refill your sun lotion frequently. Some people trick themselves into believing that it’s enough to apply some in the morning but depending on how hot it is, you might need a refill every hour or so! Keep a small tube with you at all times!
A hat is also a good way to protect your head and face from the sun.
When it comes to the rest of the body, thin clothing is a very effective means of protection from getting burned.
- Give New Products Time to Work – Trying new products is always fun to start with, but sometimes you might experience that they give you some pimples. This is when you need to be persistent, at least for a while, and let the skin get used to the products. So do stick with your new products for a while and if they are still doing nothing for your skin after a couple of weeks or so, stop using them.
But should you try new products once in a while, even though you already have found some that work for you? Does your skin get used to your products so that they stop working as well as before? The answer is no. The skin doesn’t care if you’ve been using the same moisturiser for a few years as long as it’s good for it. But it’s good to keep in mind that your skin changes with the seasons and might need other things when it’s cold than in the summer.
- Choose the Right Face Masks – When you buy a face mask, get one that is appropriate for your skin type and read the instructions carefully. Only use it as often as recommended, especially if it’s a purifying mask that might make your face dry when used too often.
It’s also good to remember that the more face mask a product contains, the cheaper it will be per usage. One-off sheet masks are way more expensive than pots full of product, and even if they might not feel as luxurious, they make it possible for you to pamper your face a couple of times a week without breaking the bank.
BACK TO BASIC BROWS
For a while, crazy sharp brows have been really popular. But that’s about to change. The trend we’re seeing now is to have more natural-looking brows.
It seems like everybody is starting to realize that they might have gone overboard with the whole brows thing. Brow stamps, tattoos, and it-brows are on their way out and will soon disappear as quickly as they once came. The same thing happened to contouring just a while ago. It seems like all the beauty trends that start to wander too far away from what we naturally look like fade away after a short while in the spotlight.
If you want to make your brows look better and fuller, you can try using an eyebrow serum. Let’s first explain what eyebrow serums actually are. They are a mix of powerful ingredients that stimulate hair growth and promote stronger and bolder eyebrows.
Why girls use them?
Well, we all know that bushy and thick eyebrows are very trendy at the moment. Unfortunately, not everybody has naturally bold eyebrows. Many girls have thin brows or they’re very sparse due to excessive plucking.
That’s where eyebrow serums come in.
They can make your brows a lot bushier and stronger to give you that trendy look.
Xbrow Eyebrow Serum is scientifically developed to promote cell renewal and provide important nutrients to the brow hair which makes it stronger and darker. Xbrow also contains many different natural extracts which protect your eyebrows against breakage, damage, and shedding. It has been successfully scientifically tested but perhaps, more importantly, it is proven to work in the real world too.
With anything cosmetic that is newish to the market people always ask questions about safety and long term effects of use. Serums are the safest method of enhancing your brows which is great news for anyone looking to make their brows more pronounced. Using an eyebrow serum is about as dangerous as conditioning your hair!